How to Care for a Newly Seeded Lawn
Newly seeded areas require different care than established lawns. Follow the recommendations below.
- Apply starter fertilizer at the rate recommended on the label.
- Water the area to maintain a consistently moist (but not saturated) soil. It is better to water twice a day at shorter intervals than once for a longer period.
- Check moisture levels in the underlying soil to prevent excessive irrigation.
- Begin mowing the lawn when it has grown to about 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Make sure mower blades are Sharp to prevent pulling and tearing of new plants.
- Keep traffic, including children and pets, off of the lawn as much as possible, until the lawn has been mowed a few times and the new grass begins to mature.